Saturday, July 24, 2010

For the past few months my son and I have been at odds over his refusual to go number 2 in the toilet. On top of that he seems to oppose me at every opportunity, which leaves me feeling helpless and sometimes hopless in the strength of my own ability to maintain patience and understanding. I try to see beyond the tantrums, and opposition, looking for a deeper cause, like maybe he is having a difficult time sharing me with his baby sister, or maybe Im not giving him adequate attention, or maybe its just because he is 3! Being at odds with my son, has me looking deeper into how I deal with conflict on an adult level. Both cause me to feel discontent and guilt. I have alway's tried to avoid conflict because of the anxiety i feel. However that is not an option when when it is my child. Everyday is a lesson learned. I hope that by my example my son is learning patience and understanding, just as I am through my love for him.

Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage. The human spirit is to grow strong by conflict.

-William Ellery Channing

No comments:

Post a Comment